The ‘Young Belgian Talent’ Jury are not only looking for exceptionally talented musicians but also for candidates that show potential to develop and grow. Character and attitude is as important as musical ability. The judging panel will be looking for evidence of a high degree of personal commitment; free thinking individuals with unending motivation and drive, who are open to be coached in whichever areas they need. For example, developing communication skills that allow them to share their ideas and emotions not just through their music on the podium but off it as well. They must have the potential to become ambassadors of their chosen career, an example to others.
- Midnight, 4 February 2022: Closing date for all applications
- 01 March 2022: Notification of selected candidates for an audition & interview.
- 19 or 26 March 2022: audition & interview before a professional panel. Location: Lemmens Institute, Luca, Chamber Hall, Leuven, Belgium.
- 18 April 2022: Notification of five selected candidates for the final (all entries will receive personalised assessed responses)
- 10 September 2022: Personal interview and video recording for the five selected finalists in Leuven, Belgium
- Saturday 19 November 2022: The Final! Before a live audience in Studio 4, Flagey, Brussels, Belgium
- Your total playing time will be maximum 15 minutes.
- There are no rules on the pieces you need to play, however it is recommended that you choose more than one piece. As a guide, we suggest that at least one of your pieces should demonstrate your technical ability and the other/s, your love of music and the reason why you want to be a professional musician.
- The pieces can be solo or accompanied. Please bear in mind that you will need to bring your own accompanist. (A piano will be available)
- No video or recordings are necessary, but if you have some that you believe will support your application – feel free to add the links to them in your CV.
Who can apply?
In order to apply you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be under the age of 22 on the first day of January 2023. Candidates are generally expected to be at least 16 years old at the time of application. Exceptions can be made
- Play an instrument that is considered part of the classical symphony orchestra and / or, is officially taught in Belgium’s top music conservatoires
- Studying at a recognized music conservatoire or academy
- Belgian nationality, or domiciled in Belgium
What’s in it for the finalists?
All finalists (the five contestants that compete in the Flagey finals) receive:
- A ‘Finalist trophy’ and 244EUR performance fee subsidy
- Support from Young Belgian Talent VZW up until the age of 25:
- Financial advice
- Legal advice
- PR / Marketing support and coaching (your own website, business cards, social media…)
- Career coaching
- Access to YBT resources and budgets, typically 3000EUR per year. Budgets cover: travel, personal coaching, master classes, summer schools, etc. and are subject to business case application and YBT director approval.
- The possibility of a CD made from professional recordings of concerts and studio performances (subject to assessment and resources).
- Priority for invitation to participation in YBT concerts during the sponsorship period.
- Possibility of other concert tours, for example with Musica et Poetica.
- Access to Young Belgian Talent’s partner network.
The overarching winner of the Young Belgian Talent competition 2022 receives in addition:
- The winners trophy
- A onetime prize of 1.000 EUR
- Preferential access to YBT resources and budgets.
- A contract for giving a minimum of 3 concerts during the sponsorship period
- Paid concert tour of Belgium for Musica et Poetica (typically 7 concerts)
- Become a member of the Jury Panel for the 2025 finals
The winner is chosen by a professional jury.
In addition, we will announce ‘the public’s winner’. This person will receive the YBT, ‘Public Choice’ trophy and a onetime 500EUR prize. The public choice winner will be determined by public voting on the night. The voting process for both winners will be supervised by a director of YBT vzw and an independent adjudicator.
How to apply:
- Let your professor of music know you are applying for the competition and ask for a motivation letter.
- Write, in your own words, a personal motivation statement (why you want to take part & how winning the competition will help you)
- Obtain a personal recommendation from family friend or independent person that knows you well to support your personal motivation statement
- Obtain a picture of you, preferably with your instrument, with free usage rights.
- Agree to the terms and conditions on this website. If under the age of 18, have your parents or legal guardian submit their written approval.
- Complete the application form
- Be prepared to attend an audition and interview (1)
- Be prepared to attend a second interview and video audition (to be shown during the final) (1)
- Be prepared and available to take part in the open competition final on Saturday 19 November, 2022 in Flagey, Studio 4, Brussels, Belgium. (2)
- All rights on pictures, video and audio recordings during the selection process, final and all subsequent events organised by Young Belgian Talent vzw are ceded to Young Belgian Talent vzw, unless agreed otherwise in writing
- You will generally support the ‘Young Belgian Talent’
- Be prepared to have interviews and your name mentioned in the press and on the website of ‘Young Belgian Talent’ and our partners.
- All finalists are expected to become an ambassador for Young Belgian Talent vzw: give interviews, have their name mentioned in the press and on the website of ‘Young Belgian Talent’ and their partners.
- Young Belgian Talent vzw reserves the right to postpone or cancel the competition at any time without compensation towards the applicants and contestants.
- In case of disputes the chairman of the jury will have the final word.
(1) For both the audition and video interviews the selected candidates receive 32 EUR in the form of a voluntary fee to cover for their expenses. In addition, the cost of transport will be reimbursed based on the price of the ticket(s) of public transport or based on 0,30 EUR /km if own transport is used. A copy of the tickets, or printout of an (online) route calculation will need to be submitted as an expense sheet afterwards.
(2) For the finals, candidates receive 244 EUR in the form of a ‘Kleine vergoedingsregeling voor kunstenaars‘ which covers the concert and upfront practice. This fee also includes transport to and from the venue.